Coming up with new ideas for dinner seems to be a challenge for me, especially when we are talking about dealing with weight management, or semi glutten free. I say that because you can get glutten free pasta nearly everywhere, and if you don't have access to it in your town, you can order from Amazon. Also, you can use any other nut flour, like almond, coconut, or flax seed.
This is a dish that was a huge hit last night with the
boys guys. I found the link on Pinterest. You can find the recipe that we adapted from here. She got hers from BHG. Maybe you will add your own twist and hopefully let me know what you did so we can try it too.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Pastaadapted from Better Homes and Gardens
1 pound short penne
1 tbs of EVOO
8 strips of bacon, diced
2 tablespoon butter
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces (I apparently MISSED this part, so do yourself a favor, and cut BEFORE cooking!)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 packet ranch dressing mix
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
shredded parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions in boiling salted water; drain, return to pot. Toss with a bit of left over water or EVOO.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon on a griddle over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Save 2 TBS and set aside. (We save the rest of the drippings and add them to the stock in the fridge.)
3. To a cast iron skillet, add the butter and bacon fat, and turn on med-hi. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and give another pinch of salt and pepper on top for good measure. Cook until tender, no longer pink, and slightly browned.
4. Mix together the packet ranch mix and the flour in a measuring cup. Sprinkle the flour and ranch dressing mix over the chicken, coating evenly.
5. Stir in the milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cheddar cheese and half of the reserved bacon; cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
6. Add the pasta to the chicken/cheese sauce and stir to combine. Then add remaining crumbled bacon to top of dish.
7. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top.
If you try it out, let me know how you like it! I've got to get back working on my project I started yesterday so I can post it later today.
Come back soon won't you?